Make your own free website on






Estimated Costs


Update 8/1/2005

    Been trying to find a way to get a light gun working with mame. The Act Labs PC to TV gun is really expensive. I did some searches on the byoac forums at and came across some interesting news. There is a driver to make a GunCon2 for ps2 to work with a pc through the USB port. I'm not having a lot of luck with the drivers. It seems the drivers are in the early stage of development. This is definitely the start of something good.

    As for the cabinet, I'm going to replace the contact paper on the control panel with some formica or laminate. I didn't route the bottom of the control panel for the joysticks so I am not able to put plexi-glass on the top. Although that is an option. I'll need to do more research on laminate cutting and such before I take that project on.


    It all started back in the eighties when I was a young. The local supermarket in my town had Space Invaders. That was one of the first games that I ever played. A year later there were more games to be played at various places around town. My older brother and I would spend our weekends playing games like Star Castle, Phoenix, Space Invaders, and Asteroids.

    It wasn't until around 2000 that I discovered Mame.  M.A.M.E. stands for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. I'm not going to go into the who developed Mame or what it does. I assuming if you made it this far you already know what the emulator can do. The first version of Mame that I played any games with was Mame32. It was a little more convenient to use as opposed to using the command line version of mame. 

   About a year ago, I decided that I was going to build my own cabinet. I wasn't sure how I was going to go about it, so I decided to build a desktop controller instead. Needless to say that just didn't cut it. While a desktop controller is great and all, it just didn't live up to authenticity of having your very own arcade cabinet. After months of planning, searching endlessly through the message boards at, and reading the book Project Arcade by John Saint Clair (I think I read the book a few hundred times), I went out and bought some supplies at the local Home Depot. I followed the plans that are included in the book. Being new at woodworking, I wanted to build from plans that I knew were going to work as opposed to trying to design my own. And so it begins...

    The project took me 3 months to complete considering I did it in my spare time. The cabinet was playable after only a few weeks. For those reading this make sure you complete your cabinet first and then play it or it will never seem to be finished for some odd reason. I'm quite happy with the overall job that I did. I have never used a circular saw before this project so I wasn't expecting perfection.

Nothing beats a few friends and a tournament of Zoo Keeper to make it all worth it.


                     This page has been viewed

                   Hit Counter




   If you have any questions about my project please email me here